Monday, August 17, 2009

Dear Receptionist at my Landlord's office

Just a couple of points for you:

1. Sure, tattoos are cool. I know I will eventually get one. I think its cool to have something personal and artistic on you. But don't overdo it. A cool flower is one thing. Maybe one on each arm. Or have matching birds on each wrist. But its your skin, not a canvas. Your epidermis isn't Baltic Ave, where you are the landlord and need to fill it with real estate and tennents so you can afford payments on your 3 boats . Sometimes, one well placed tattoo is a lot more effective than 27. I don't care how much you liked that poem by Keats. Laminate a copy and place it on your desk, don't put the entire thing all over your arm. Subtlety can be a wonderful thing.

2 Consistency is a good thing. You had a lot of tattoos, but they were all different sorts of items. Flowers, poetic lyrics, other designs. I'm sorry, I don't have time to look at all of your tatoos. Odds are that unless you are with your close friends or a significant other, most people will not be able to look at your tatoos you have. I know that hypothetically people get tattoos for themselves, but if thats the case get them in a place where no one can regularly see them. Like your back or something. No offense, but open-air appendages, like arms, are just as much in my space as they are yours.

So, what I'm getting at here? I'm a big fan of themes. If you are getting a lot of tatoos in a very visible public place (arm, leg, neck, head, foot), might as well make it easy for the rest of us and get tatoos all in a certain genre. For example, Right arm could be all flowers and whatnot, left arm could be Poetry and fancy script words.

Other suggestions for themes (NOTH YOU? APPROVED)
Right Leg - Star Wars themed tatoos (Chewie, Jawas, AT AT Walkers)
Left Foot - Humphry Bogart Movie titles
Neck - Vampire Bites
Left Arm - Boston Celtic Crosses

All I'm saying this way, if i am able to glance at just three of the tatoos on your arm, I can tell what you were going for. Consistency is not a terrible thing. Somtimes, it makes the world run a little smoother.

3. Moreover, you might have a lot of tattoos, but their artisic merit and significance is greatly skewed if you are fat. Now, I know what you're thinking. And no, I'm not hating on fat people (that will come in a post I surely will drunkenly write sometime in the future, entitled POR FAVOR, NO FAT CHICKS - TEASER!). But seriously, you are not exactly a skinny, or even a moderately sized person. The first thing I notice about you isnt your tattoos (its a close second though), but your fat rolls.

When I was little, I used to play with silly putty a lot. One of teh cool things about the stuff was that you could press it on newsprint and it would replicate it. This was especailyl funny with the comics. I would copy Ziggy or Marmaduke, and distort their faces and bodies. Well, frankly, the same principle applies here. Except its your skin. You might think its a flower, but it looks like a tree to me. And, your text tatoos are skewed as different LeTTeRS AppEar LarGER.

4. You are a receptionist. If you are getting paid to greet people, and when they come and you are on the phone with your friend, you aren't doing your job. Sure, everyone dicks around on their job, its human nature to lose focus at your work, especially if its slow. But if someone comes in and you actually have to do your job, you should do it. I might text someone while I'm at work, but I wait until I have a free window.

Otherwise, you seem like a generally pleasant person, sans tatts, fat, and att(itude). Have a swell afternoon and pleasant evening watching Golden Girls DVDs with your two cats.

Cheers
-El Benda

No comments: